Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view PDF's.  To download a free copy, click on the Acrobat Reader icon.

Housing Information for Seniors
If you can not find the information that you are looking for, please email us.  Send your questions here. 

When illness strikes or an eldercare crisis arises, the challenges of caregiving can be overwhelming.  The Senior Guidance Directory is a valuable resource.  It provides a lifeline to services and resources in the community. To obtain a printed book, call a Harris County Resource Navigator at 713-696-1998.


Emergency Money For Utilities And Rent, Plus Other Assistance

Listed below are organizations who help with emergency assistance for rent, mortgage, gas, electric, phone, or water bills. Most of these organizations will only help a family or individual once a year, for one month. In most cases, no one agency will cover all of your debt. To pay your bill, you usually will have to ask for help from more than one agency.

The Housing Resource Center does not give financial support. Our role is to provide information and resources that connect residents with programs that can be of help for a one-time financial emergency. For proof of need, most organizations will need for you to provide an eviction notice; your utility or phone bill, such as final notice; payroll stubs (if appropriate); family social security cards; social security disability verification letter; and photo identification. However, since each agency has different requirements for documentation, call and check before you meet with them.


Emergency Assistance


ADRCIf you need help for an older person or someone with disabilities, start with the CareConnection:
or call 877-393-1090


Harris County Housing Authority (HCHA) 713.578.2100 
HCHA offers affordable housing opportunities for seniors.  For a list of properties, click here. To apply, contact the leasing office to determine unit availability. 


Houston Housing Authority (HHA)
HHA has public housing communities for seniors.  The average wait period is 6-9 months.  To learn more about these communities and how to apply, contact the waiting list staff at 713.260.0701 or
713.260.0718 or 713.260.0706.


To download an application for Public Housing, click here.


For a list of Public Housing Developments, click here


Apartments for seniors:

To help you search for more apartments around Harris County,  click here.

Logo: Homes and Communities: U.S. Department of Housing and Urban DevelopmentThe U. S. Department of Housing and Urban Development has information on low rent apartments for seniors and people with disabilities.  To apply, visit the management office for the apartment(s) that interest you. 

Homeless Shelters for seniors:
Emergency shelters provide immediate and safe shelter for senior adults who are homeless due to emergency financial crisis, not due to abuse, call the Coalition for the Homeless of Houston/Harris County, Inc. at 713.739.7514.

Retirement Communities, Nursing Homes or Independent Living Facilities for seniors:

Senioradvisor-logoThere are many different types of housing options available for seniors today.  Seniors are able to select a housing option that meet their individual needs, from independent living to skilled nursing care.  Some facilities allow for only one stage of life, while other facilities allow seniors to make the transition from one stage of life to another without leaving the facility. 

Retirement Communities or Independent Living Facilities allow seniors to continue living independently and can be apartment buildings, townhouses, or rooms that require little or no maintenance.  Services provided vary depending on the type and cost of the facility, and seniors are responsible for their own finances, transportation, meals, and health care.  Recreational activities are usually offered, maid service may be provided, and some meals may be provided in a community dining room.  Some facilities offer transportation to the doctor or shopping centers.  Click here.

To find and compare information on nursing homes, skilled care, and assisted living, nationally, that accepts Medicare and Medicaid, click here.  


offers many FREE services to seniors and their families.  For information on retirement living, including active retirement living, independent living, assisted living, and long-term care, and nursing care, click here.


Senior Home Repair and Weatherization

Seniors 62 years old or disabled may request home repairs from Rebuilding Together Houston.  The minimum requirements to be eligible for home repair through Rebuilding Together Houston include: 

  • You must own and live in the property that you need repaired

  • Property taxes must be current or have an official payment agreement with the appropriate government agency

  • Must be age 62 or older, or a military service veteran or spouse of a veteran, or disabled (and receiving a government recognized disability income)

  • Annual household income of 50% of adjusted median income

  • Home must be in Harris County or the City of Houston


Sheltering Arms Senior Services provides home weatherization measures and assistance with utility bills to help seniors continue to live independently in their own homes.


Weatherization service includes caulking, insulation, and weather stripping.  Home weatherization increases the efficiency of the fuel used in heating during winter and cooling in summer, providing the client with reduced fuel costs.  The weatherization program is open to low income households in Harris County with preference given to the elderly and physically handicapped.   For more information, call (713) 685-6577.


The Comprehensive Energy Assistance Program (CEAP) is administered by Neighborhood Centers Inc.  The program assists low income households in Harris County with the payment of electricity and gas bills.  For more information, call 2-1-1 or 713-957-4357. 

Tax Relief for Elderly Homeowners

A person who is 65 or older may receive tax exemptions.  School districts grant an additional $10,000 exemption for qualified persons who are 65 or older.  Call the Harris County Appraisal District at 713.957.7800 for information. 

Under tax deferral, property taxes continue to accrue and are assessed interest. The taxes and accrued interest will become due and payable in full at the time the homeowner dies, moves, or sells the property. A homeowner is eligible to file a tax deferral upon reaching age 65, and there is no need to wait until the next January 1st to be eligible. 

Before using this provision, homeowners should first contact the tax offices for the jurisdictions in which their property is located to determine how much tax can legally be deferred. If the home has a mortgage, caution must be used since the deed of trust may permit the mortgage company to foreclose if all taxes aren't paid on time. Decisions regarding tax deferrals should be carefully considered and discussed with family members.

For application for Residence Homestead Exemption, click here 

Affidavit forms are available at
the Harris County Appraisal District
13013 Northwest Freeway, Houston.

While this overview has focused on tax deferral,
information on all types of tax relief are available on the Harris County Appraisal District Web site
or by contacting the appraisal district at



Privacy Policy | Disclaimer

This site is best viewed using an 800x600 screen resolution with Microsoft Internet Explorer or Netscape  versions 4.0 or above.

For suggestions or comments regarding this site please email us at