Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view PDF's.  To download a free copy, click on the Acrobat Reader icon.

All Kinds Of Information On Housing For Seniors

Affordable Housing Tools and Apartments for Seniors

Harris County Appraisal District Tax Relief for Elder Homeowners

You must call to ask for senior discounts on your taxes.  Call today!

Senior Housing  and  Special Needs for Seniors and disabled individuals.

Prepare for long term living with Care for Elders' Take Charge.

The Senior Guidance Directory is available at Walgreen's pharmacies at no charge or visit it online.  Or call
(713) 529-9991
for one to be mailed.

Harris County Housing Authority  (713) 578-2100 
For information on Harris County's Section 8 properties, those that take vouchers, ask for the Residential Specialist. 

Project-based subsidized housing are for low-income individuals and some are exclusively for seniors.  They may offer support services such as meals and transportation.  You need to apply directly to the complex where you are interested in living.  Under this Program, the amount of your rent is usually 10 percent of your monthly gross income or 30 percent of you income after allowances, whichever is greater.  Click here.

Project-based Section 8 is a program that helps low-income people get affordable housing.  However, the phrase "Section 8" can be confusing, because there is another, very different government program that’s also called "Section 8."  In that Section 8 program, you get a voucher from a Housing Authority that you can use in many different housing developments. 

Section 8 isn’t like that.  If you get help through Project-based Section 8, you have to live in a specified, particular housing development.  As soon as you leave that development, you are out of the program.

The Harris County Housing Resource Center's list of affordable senior housing.   Click on house.  To apply, you must apply directly, in-person, to the Project-based Section 8 apartment with necessary documentation.

Houston Housing Authority   (713) 260-0701 
To see a list of the Section 8 apartments that take vouchers, click on the link above.

For single room occupancy (SRO) through the City of Houston, click here.

For Section 8 apartments through the City of Houston, click here.

Houston Housing Authority  (713) 260-0600 
For a list of affordable properties that are affordable without vouchers, such as project-based and tax credit properties, click on the link above.

Houston Housing Authority  (713) 260-0701 
These properties include multiple-family affordable apartments.

Home purchase downpayment assistance for seniors:

For the City of Houston Community Development Housing Programs, call (713) 335-8527

For the Harris County Community Services Department Downpayment Assistance Program (DAP) and Downpayment-Plus, call (713) 578-2210.  Or email the manager of county lending services.

Emergency home repair programs for seniors:

Rebuilding Houston Together:  This program does home repairs only for seniors over 62 years old, disabled individuals, and individuals with low-fixed incomes.  The Harris County residents must own the home that they live in and be current on their property taxes.  Click here to send an email for help.

Harris County Home Repair Program

Sheltering Arms' Comprehensive Energy Program  (713) 956-7456

Sheltering Arms' Comprehensive Energy Program  (713) 812-8037   (in Spanish)

Baytown Community Development  (281) 420-5390
This program offers housing rehab and repairs, only within the Baytown city limits.

City of Houston Housing and Community Development (713) 868-8300

Christian Community Service Center  (713) 871-9741
This program offers minor repair help for seniors and the disabled on a case by case basis.

Emergency Aid Coalition  (713) 522-0667
Call for eligibility requirements and an application.
Gulf Coast Community Services  (713) 393-4745
This program offers minor home repair for seniors over 62 years old and disabled residents of Harris County, who are the property owners.

Harris County Community Services Development (713) 578-2055

Harris County Housing Resource Center (713) 578-2055

Pasadena Community Development  (713) 475-7243

Wheelchair Ramps and Home Modification

Home modification videos and library can help you stay in your home.|

Gulf Coast Home Safety and Security  (713) 393-4745

For air conditions from the City of Houston  (713) 868-8400

To be eligible for the City of Houston's Beat the Heat program, residents must be at least 62 years old or disabled, verified by Social Security Disability, have title of the home in their name, have lived in the home for more than 6 months, and meet income guidelines:  for example a single person can not make more than $1,700 a month. 

Public Housing for seniors:

Public housing refers to rental units that are available to low-income senior adults.  The rent charged is usually no more than 30 percent of the senior’s income.  In Houston, there are sixteen public housing locations.  Thirteen of these have some space set aside for senior adults, while three are designed exclusively for seniors.  Click here for a list of public housing.

Homeless Shelters for seniors:

The emergency shelters provide shelter for senior adults who are homeless due to emergency financial crisis, not abuse.  For immediate and safe shelter, call (713) 739-7514, the Coalition for the Homeless of Houston/Harris County, Inc
Senior Housing Options for seniors:

There are many different types of housing options available for seniors today.  Seniors are able to select a housing option that meet their individual needs, from independent living to skilled nursing care.  Some facilities allow for only one stage of life, while other facilities allow seniors to make the transition from one stage of life to another without leaving the facility. 

Retirement Communities or Independent Living Facilities for seniors:

These facilities allow seniors to continue living independently and can be apartment buildings, townhouses, or rooms that require little or no maintenance.  Services provided vary depending on the type and cost of the facility, and seniors are responsible for their own finances, transportation, meals, and health care.  Recreational activities are usually offered, maid service may be provided, and some meals may be provided in a community dining room.  Some facilities offer transportation to the doctor or shopping centers.  Click here.

For information on being a caregiver or caregiver services, click here. 

Continuing Care Retirement Communities (CCRC) for seniors

CCRC’s are housing communities that provide different levels of care based on the residents’ needs, from independent living to skilled nursing care in an affiliated nursing home.  These communities are sometimes referred to as “lifecare” because they allow you to move from one type of care or level to the next without leaving the community.  Many CCRC’s require a large payment prior to admission and also charge a monthly service fee.  Be sure to check the quality records of the CCRC’s nursing home because the CCRC contract usually requires you to use the facility’s nursing home. 

Assisted Living Facilities for seniors:

These housing facilities combine a level of independent living with some assistance for personal care.  Assisted living facilities offer seniors the privacy of their own bedroom, often with a small kitchen area.  Most offer three meals a day in a community dining room, snacks, laundry services, housekeeping, assistance with bathing, dressing, personal grooming, and medication supervision.  These facilities are not designed for people who need serious medical care.  Some assisted living facilities offer housing for Alzheimer’s, dementia, and memory loss residents.  In most cases, residents pay a monthly rent and additional fees for specific services.  Medicare does not pay for assisted living facilities.  In very limited circumstances, Medicaid will cover the cost of assisted living facilities for certain qualified Medicaid recipients.

Instructions: Directions for looking up assisted living facilities: Check the box next to Assisted Living; type Houston as the city, or the city you are interested in; and select Texas, or another state, from the state list; then click on the go button.

Residential Care Homes (also known as Personal Care Homes) for seniors:

These group living facilities, usually single family homes, are designed to meet the needs of people who cannot live independently, but do not require nursing home services.  These homes provide some type of assistance with daily living activities, including eating, walking, bathing, and toileting.   Some homes provide skilled nursing, rehabilitative services, or specialized care for medical illnesses, such as Alzheimer’s disease.  Medicare does not cover the cost of these facilities, and only a very limited number of qualified Medicaid recipients may receive some assistance in paying for this type of facility.  All residential care homes in Texas with more than four residents must be licensed.

Skilled Nursing, formerly known as Nursing Homes for seniors:

These facilities are designed for residents who need nursing care due to illness or physical or mental disabilities.  These facilities accept residents for short-term recovery as well as long-term stays.  A registered nurse is on duty 24 hours a day and theses facilities offer the highest level of nursing care short of hospitalization.  The State of Texas licenses all nursing homes for Medicare and Medicaid.

For information on hospice and palliative care facilities,
click here.

Housing for seniors:

Accessible housing that offers features that allow the disabled to live independently can be difficult to locate.  The National Accessible Apartment Clearinghouse can provide you with a list of member apartment complexes and the amenities each one offers.  Their description of each complex is detailed and includes such features as wide doorways, low vanities, ramped entries, elevators, features for the hearing impaired and much, much more.  (Directions for using the NAAC Web site: enter the city and state from the drop down list; or enter the desired 5-digit zip code; then click on the submit button.)

The Housing Corporation of Greater Houston is a non-profit organization that develops and manages low-income housing for senior adults, the disabled, and others with special needs.

Social Ministry Coalitions for seniors:

Social Ministries provide emergency assistance with utility bills, rent, and other critical needs if funds are available.  Some may also assist with food and clothing.  Go to our Housing Resource Center page on Emergency Assistance.



According to the Houston Bar Association’s Elder Law Handbook, anyone may file an application with the court requesting that a guardian be appointed for someone that is believed to be incapacitated.  A person is considered to be incapacitated if, because of a mental or physical condition, the person is unable to provide food, clothing, or shelter for himself or herself, cannot take care of his/her physical health, or cannot manage his/her financial affairs.   However, just because a person is advanced in age or hospitalized does not automatically mean that the person is incapacitated.   Once an application for guardianship has been made, the court investigates and appoints an attorney ad litem to represent the person proposed to be incapacitated and a hearing or trial is held.  If the court determines that a person is incapacitated, a guardian is appointed.  Although this guardian is usually a spouse or relative, it is up to the court to determine who is best to serve.

Guardianship Responsibilities

Becoming a guardian is not necessarily the best way to handle a loved one’s medical needs or financial affairs if he/she becomes incapacitated.  It is expensive and tightly controlled by the court.  The costs of handling a guardianship include attorney’s fees, filing fees, attorney ad litem fees, and bond premiums to be paid out of the incapacitated person’s estate.  Also, the guardian must file yearly reports to the court showing all receipts and expenditures made on the person’s behalf.

Avoiding Guardianship – Advance Directives

As a loved one grows older, it is wise to choose ahead of time a relative or trusted friend who will have the legal authority to handle medical decisions and/or financial affairs if that person should become incapacitated in the future.  You should take action now to avoid having to setup a guardianship.  You do this by executing legal documents known as Advance Directives.  Advance Directives include a Medical Power of Attorney, which addresses health needs, and Statutory Durable Powers of Attorney for addressing financial affairs.

Privacy Policy | Disclaimer

This site is best viewed using an 800x600 screen resolution with Microsoft Internet Explorer or Netscape  versions 4.0 or above.

For suggestions or comments regarding this site please email us at